Friday, August 5, 2016

Playground and Mini Kite

Introducing "Playground" by Amy Sinibaldi for Art Gallary Fabrics
and "Mini Kite" by me.


"Playground" collection is in the shop and it's gorgeous! I discovered Amy's blog when I started quilting 3 years ago. Her soft, sweet and sophisticated style just captivated me.  I was so excited when she started to design fabrics, and I just know I want her collection in my shop.

My favorite is the cute tire swing patterns, and both blue and pink colorways are YUM!


I did not know how to put so many colors together harmoniously, especially that honey brown. But all the dark blues and mint blues and plum and pink and honey brown..., it's wonderful!  All the flowers and the geometric patterns are GREAT blenders as well. And can I tell you about the low volume prints?  Amy did it again! I loved the parchment and the stamped print from her limited collection "Paperie" before, but the low volume prints from this "Playground" collection adds so much softness and sprinkle of colors to the mix.  Oh, and that strip "Chopstick" print is PERFECT for binding!


And that "I spy friendship" print is what inspired my "Mini Kite" quilt.  I googled "Kite quilt" online and did not find a pattern that I wanted, so I sat down and drew a simple kite pattern on my graph paper. I did not want to deal with quilt math, so I just went with paper piecing technique.



Voila!




Back of the quilt 




Here is the Mini Kite Pattern for you to download. (Please excuse the very not sophisticated pencil and ruler hand drawing) For paper piecing technique, please check online tutorials. Personally, I learned it from Amy Gibson's Block of the month 2012 Crafty class, which is free now.

Quick note about the "Mini Kite" quilt.
Fabrics that I used: A fat quarter bundle of Playground, and a fat quarter of "Parchment" for background

I paired the prints together for the kites and I set aside the 2 prints for outer border and binding.
I cut a 5" strip from all the kite fabrics and background fabric. I used 2" strips for the sashing and 2.5" for the outer borders. I used all the left over 5" strips to piece the quilt back.

The kite blocks are 6". The mini quilt end up being about 24" by 24".

I would love to see your Mini Kite quilt if you make one! Post it on instagrm use #minikitequilt
Thanks! Hope you enjoy it!

~ Eunice


No comments:

Post a Comment